Home > Apply to UCT > What do I need?

What do I need?

Admission requirements

For admission to the UCT Semester Study Abroad programme, you need to:

  • be registered for Bachelors studies or higher at a non-South African university;
  • have completed at least two semesters’ worth of courses at the point of application;
  • have achieved a cumulative average of 65% in your current studies. This is equivalent to a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a scale of 0.0 to 4.0 in the USA system or an upper range ‘B’ on the ECTS grading scale;
  • be able to demonstrate proficiency in English at the level required for admission to UCT.

We assess each application individually using your academic transcript to establish equivalency with the academic level and course entry requirements at UCT.

English proficiency

English proficiency is a requirement for admission to UCT. Applicants must submit a certificate from a standardised test of English as a foreign language for academic purposes.

We recognise that many applicants can demonstrate English proficiency by other means and therefore also consider evidence of equivalence with standardised test outcomes. 

Documents submitted in evidence of English language proficiency should be a certificate or transcript from a formal or accredited testing or assessing body (e.g. an IELTS test certificate from the British Council or a transcript of secondary school grades).  Letters from your home university are not sufficient as they cannot be externally verified by a testing body.  However, a letter may be provided in support of any transcript or certificate demonstrating equivalence.

Contact for advice on what we can accept as evidence of equivalency with the English proficiency requirements.


Submitting supporting documents

To complete the application process, you will need to submit original paper copies of the following documents. Where documents are not in English, please provide a certified English translation alongside the original document.

  1. Official academic transcript from your home university showing courses already completed, courses in which you are currently enrolled, and grades and credits accumulated to date. Masters students should also send a copy of their Bachelors degree certificate and academic transcript.
  2. Where English is not your home language or the medium of instruction and examination at your home university, a certificate of English proficiency.

Courier your documents to:

Semester Study Abroad
International Office
Masingene Building
Cross Campus Road
Cape Town 7701
South Africa