Home > Before you arrive > Insurance

Insurance and medical aid

Medical aid

All international students need to purchase medical aid cover from a medical aid scheme registered with the South African Council of Medical Aid Schemes when you apply for a study visa.

This should be for the full duration of your study programme and intended stay in South Africa.

We recommend two schemes as providing good medical cover and value for money:

You will not be permitted to register unless you have medical aid cover.

Keep your medical aid details with you at all times. You will need them if you fall ill or meet with an accident.


Personal insurance

We strongly recommend you purchase personal insurance to cover you for the loss of personal property such as phones, laptops and cameras, as well as travel insurance for lost luggage or having to rebook your ticket.