The University of Cape Town
Who we are
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is South Africa’s oldest university. Established in 1829, it has maintained a proud tradition of academic excellence, which today sees it ranked first in Africa and the only African university consistently ranked amongst the top universities in the world by the most widely recognised ranking systems (Times Higher Education and Quacquarelli Symonds). Renowned for its striking location at the foot of Table Mountain, UCT is a microcosm of the city in its title. It is home to a vibrant, cosmopolitan community of over 27 000 students and 5 000 staff members from over 100 other countries in Africa and abroad.
Considering UCT? Explore your course options.
UCT Libraries: students have free access to internet on campus
UCT semester study abroad fast facts
- UCT is consistently the highest ranked university in Africa.
- UCT is home to more than 5 000 international students from more than 100 countries.
- Our semester study abroad programme offers a wide range of mind-expanding and relevant semester courses across five faculties: Commerce, Engineering & the Built Environment, Humanities, Law, and Science.
- UCT is frequently ranked as one of the most beautiful campuses in the world.
- Fast, free internet is available on all our campuses.
- Course credits are easily transferable to your home university.
- English is the medium of instruction.
- We provide an orientation programme upon arrival.
- We help study abroad and exchange students find accommodation.
- We offer a direct enrolment programme where study abroad and exchange students integrate fully into regular UCT courses.
- We provide opportunities for you to make a difference by doing volunteer work in and around Cape Town. Work with us to combat socio-economic issues such as:
- High levels of inequality
- Substance abuse
- Housing shortages
- Illiteracy and innumeracy
- Unequal access to justice
- UCT offers great education at a reasonable fee in a world-renowned city with a comparatively low cost of living.
Our global partners
UCT has student exchange agreements with universities around the world
We have a wide range of student exchange agreements with universities around the world. UCT has also partnered with five study abroad provider organisations for the study abroad programmes. Students can also apply independently as individual semester study abroad students. See Apply to UCT section to better understand your options.